One student asked, “When we were working in small groups, you were looking out the window. What were you looking at?”
A good question! Our classroom is on the third floor of Grubbs Hall, at the back of the building, looking out over a parking lot. And I was indeed looking out the window while the students worked.
- I noticed that in the cool shadow of the building there was still a lot of ice and snow. Over in the sunny parts of the parking lot, all the snow and ice had melted.
- I watched a young man go skidding sliding across the ice on his heels. I remembered doing similar sliding in the days of my more-energetic youth.
- I saw Dr. M. crossing the parking lot. I wondered where he was going.
- I saw Dr. W. get out of her car and head toward the building. She was carrying something red in her hand. It looked plastic. A spaghetti strainer? A hat? I wondered what she was carrying.
- I watched a big pickup truck trying to park next to my car. I thought, You’d better not hit me!
It’s a big world out there! You can see a lot of things if you look out the right window….